Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Search Intensifies

Confession: I accidentally missed the second CPS Career Fair. After chickening out of the last one, I psyched myself up and was determined to go into the next one prepared and full of confidence. On Sunday, I investigated the date sure that it was at the end of July and found out that it already occurred. June 30th. I missed it by 5 days. While I know that this is not the end of the world, it is a considerable setback. Even though career fairs are crowded and full of people just like me all looking for a job, the major benefit of going is receiving the list of schools that are currently seeking new employees.

I have no such list.

I am holding strong without one though.

Yesterday I made my first major step in the job search. Previously, I turned in a resume at a few school, specifically ones in which I frequently subbed. So far, this tactic has failed to produce any leads.

My new strategy: 20 resumes sent to schools a day. 15 resumes to Chicago Public Schools. 5 resumes to Catholic or charter schools. If the CPS e-bulletin is updated I must apply for all schools for which I am qualified to teach. Regardless of location or snap judgments of school quality.

I have my substitute teacher map that shows the location of all of the schools in the area. Creating circles around my apartment's location, I applied yesterday to the 15 closest CPS schools. Today, the next 15. This will continue until all schools in my area receive my resume or I until get a job. Which ever comes first.

No comments:

Post a Comment