Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Wake Up Call

It's 6:30 in the morning. A woman I have never met is calling me again. She is about to tell me something incredibly important and through a sleepy haze, I must remember it all.

"Ms. Zurawski," she says my name slowly as a question, and it makes me sad to think she has forgotten me with just a summer apart, "Are you available to sub today?"

"I sure am!" I mumble, attempting to portray positivity and excitement despite the hour, because it must be tiring to cold call substitute teachers all morning.

She tells me the school name, its address, and a start time and with that our familiar morning ritual is complete.

Though it is only August, Chicago Public Schools has begun it's new "Track-E" year round schedule. And so, substitute teaching begins again!

No comments:

Post a Comment